Hello Wonderful OA Fellows!!
Our local Intergroup
(Channel Islands Intergroup aka “CIIG”)
has very big and exciting news
But first, a question: What does Channel Islands Intergroup do?
If you don’t know, we understand.
The truth is that our CIIG serves you as Compulsive Overeaters and you as Compulsive Overeaters are already members of CIIG.
**We, as IG members, are taking a deep dive to transform and revitalize our CIIG into a high-value organization whose top priority is to help members strengthen their personal recovery.**
Last December our CIIG group conducted an intensive half-day review of ourselves – asking ourselves where are we effective and where are we ineffective.
Here we share the results with you. And we’d like you to fill out a 10-minute survey (see below) to further this deep dive for us all. (Remember, we recover together!)
But first, some sobering news –
- We have less and less personal recovery in OA which means less attraction, less retention, fewer sponsors, fewer members, fewer meetings, and a declining OA.
- Regions and World Service are basically invisible to the average member. Only intergroups have the potential to quickly do something to reverse the trend.
And now the hopeful news –
- Our top priority as a revitalized, high-value organization is to help members strengthen their personal recovery through workshops and educational opportunities.
We can break away from the vicious cycle of addiction and embrace the cycle of recovery!!
What we discovered in our half day deep dive of nearly 60 questions:
What we feel we do relatively well:
- We held 7 workshops in the last 5 years.
- We held a weekend retreat in the last two years.
- We publish a newsletter called InterVoice which includes a list of available sponsors and a current meeting list.
- We reorganized ourselves recently so that committee members from Retreats and Workshop and Outreach attend CIIG – this makes for substantive conversation and action.
- We hold yearly elections, so new people have the opportunity to serve.
- We meet monthly in Carpinteria which is the most central location in our area.
- We are fiscally responsible and complete monthly financial reports.
- We send representatives to Region and World Service Business Conferences.
- There is a place on our IG agenda for open sharing and expressing group concerns.
- We maintain a website that spotlights local events and includes resources for members.
- We honor anonymity.
- We include everyone in the fellowship and consider them part of CIIG.
What we need to improve on:
- Set distinct and articulated short and long term goals. One of the long term goals is to have our members feel connected to IG!!
- Create an action plan that’s concrete and quantifiable.
- Offer more workshops, sponsorship panels, retreats, fellowship events.
- Help new members find sponsors.
- Help meetings find abstinent speakers.
- Have every OA meeting in our Intergroup represented at our monthly CIIG meeting.
- Redefine our Mission Statement to reflect a new approach for maximum effectiveness in carrying the message.
- Reach more compulsive overeaters through as many forms of media and communication as possible.
- Reach out to the still suffering compulsive overeater through professionals in the medical and mental health fields and institutions.
- Better serve our Spanish speaking fellows.
Now we need to hear from you!!
EVERY person’s opinion is needed – newcomer or long-timer, in recovery or in relapse. The more people who participate, the greater the value of the information gained. The greater OUR RECOVERY.
Click HERE (or on the link at the top of the page) to fill out the survey online
Click Here to download, print and fill out the survey which you can then give to a representative at your meeting.
This survey is anonymous!!
We will publish the results in an upcoming InterVoice. For more information or questions, contact Natalie G. at 310-488-2893 or via email