Hello! If you think you may be a compulsive eater, take the OA Quiz and if you decide you may be one of us, give yourself a chance for recovery by trying the OA program. Check the CIIG Meeting List for details to join us at an in-person or Zoom (video or phone only) meeting—we look forward to welcoming you!
- Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
- Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
- Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
- Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
- Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
- When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
- Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
- Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
- Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
- Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
- Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages?
- Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
- Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
- Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
- Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?
Have you answered “yes” to several of these questions? If so, we invite you to join us to learn more about the OA program:
- Where Do I Start? Everything a Newcomer Needs to Know – This single pamphlet is packed with key info about OA’s Twelve Step program of recovery, including Tools, Plans of Eating, OA Promise, “Welcome Home” story, and much more. Download the free Newcomer PDF here!
- CIIG Meeting List – check for in-person and Zoom meetings in Santa Barbara County & Ventura North County.
- OA.org Find A Meeting search worldwide online or face-to-face meetings for your time zone